Date(s) - 09/30/2019
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Add to your calendar: iCal
Hyatt Place Lenexa Conference Center
Exploring the Environmental Profession
Join the Midwest Section of the Air and Waste Management Association for our third annual Young Environmental Professionals workshop. This year we have invited environmental professionals to present insights into working within various sectors, including the manufacturing, consulting, non-profit and public agency sectors. They will share the technical and personal sides of their jobs with us. We will also have a workshop on networking and close out the morning with a panel Q&A session where workshop attendees can ask questions to local professionals. This workshop is beneficial for working professionals to understand perspectives of professionals in different sectors and for students who are investigating careers in the environmental field.
Moderator – Kelli Calhoon, Ramboll
8:00 am – Perspectives on Working in Environmental Sectors
- Manufacturing Industry – Lauren Scott, Compliance Manager, Harcros Chemicals, Inc.
- Consulting – Abby Perkins, Consultant, Trinity Consultants
- Public Agency – Mark Weckwerth, Air Quality Division, Unified Government of Wyandotte County
- Non-Profit – Lisa McDaniel, Solid Waste Coordinator, Mid-America Regional Council
10:15 am – Workshop
- Everything You Know About Networking Is Wrong with Diana Alt, DKA Coaching LLCThere are few things that confuse professionals more than networking.
- Extroverts think networking is collecting business cards at happy hours.
- Introverts think it’s about selling out to the extroverts who like to collect business cards.
- Job seekers think it’s about sending out a million resumes to everyone they’ve ever met asking people to give them a job.
- That girl you knew back in high school thinks it’s about messaging people she hasn’t seen in years to tell them they’d be “just perfect for her team!” in the MLM she just joined.
Those things might be networking, but they aren’t effective networking. Effective networking is about exactly one thing: Relationships. Diana will explain what effective networking really is, and how to network properly in different contexts such as job searches, conferences, and networking events.
11:00 am – Panel Q&A
- Stephanie Taylor, SCS Engineers
- Anna Custer, Pace Analytical
- Lauren Scott, Harcros Chemicals
- Abby Perkins, Trinity Consultants
- Mark Weckwerth, Unified Government of Wyandotte County
- Lisa McDaniel, Mid-America Regional Council
- Deborah Bredehoft, EPA Region 7
New in 2019! This workshop is being held just prior to the 2019 Midwest A&WMA Technical Conference! Your workshop registration also registers you for the afternoon sessions of the Technical Conference and our closing happy hour to network with all conference attendees.
For more information, contact Kelli Calhoon at 913-956-6221 or Kelli.Calhoon@midwestawma.org
If you are paying by check, click the applicable Ticket Type. Then click
If paying by check, after you are redirected to PayPal, click
If you want to take advantage of the discounted new A&WMA Membership Special go to New Membership.
Please select only one Ticket Type. If you need to register more than one person, register each separately.
Discounted early registration ends on Sept. 9.
Bookings are closed for this event.